Changing lives for good
Islamic Aid seeks to make immediate and lasting improvements to the lives of people affected by poverty, war and disaster. Islamic Aid Works in parts of Africa, Asia and Europe to address the needs of all those in need, regardless of their race, religion, gender, nationality or political opinion.
Islamic Aid work on strategic programmes to eliminate poverty focus on four key ways:
Nobody wants to live on handouts. So Islamic Aid works to ensure that people can make a decent living, access fair markets and meet their own and their families’ needs in the long term. In particular we focus on:
Disaster and emergency response
Islamic Aid recognises that emergency situations continue after the cameras leave, and that rebuilding and safeguarding communities is an ongoing process. Islamic Aid works with vulnerable communities before, during and after emergencies happen to:
- Ensure they have the resources to minimise, survive and recover from emergencies
- Ensure they can cope with the effects of environmental threats
- Reduce the risk of violence, forced displacement or armed conflict by working for peace and security in the communities we support
- Lobby the governments to prevent, resolve and respond to conflicts and emergencies
Campaigning and advocacy
Islamic Aid challenges those with power to adopt policies and behaviour that promote justice and end poverty. Islamic Aid does this by lobbying, petitioning, marching, and by being present and vocal at key events. Working individually and through networks to create a powerful voice for change and justice. To do this Islamic Aid raises funds and mobilise action from Muslim communities and beyond.
Education in the UK
We work with Muslim communities in the UK to raise awareness and inspire a commitment to end injustice and poverty in the global South. We focus on:
- Increasing Muslim community’s engagement with our work through giving, taking action and praying, both individually and communally
- creating and nurturing links between Muslims in the UK and communities in the global South, based on dignity and equality
- bringing a greater awareness of global poverty and its causes to young Muslims so that they will be equipped to respond to the call for justice.
How Islamic Aid works
Islamic Aid all humanitarian and development work centres around partnerships. Islamic Aid works alongside local organisations overseas and we encourage partners to participate in projects; after all, it’s their project.
Islamic Aid offers financial and practical assistance to improve capacity and skills. Islamic Aid evaluates projects regularly to keep improving. Islamic Aid does not dictate to the partners, but promotes quality commitments and support their implementation. That could mean bringing several partners together to share learning and experiences, helping with funding applications, or providing financial management training.
Islamic Aid accountability
We work according to internationally agreed standards, principles and core partnership values.